Monday, April 18, 2011

angels among us

I have a confession. I am no supermom. This twin thing is hard. Tonight while Darren was at work, my 3 children were not happy.. at all, screaming in fact and it was taking all of me not to scream along with them. I sat on the couch to feed the boys (even though they weren't going to eat for another hour) and I get a knock on the door. I am embarrassed because I am thinking it is probably one of my neighbors who can hear my kids and assuming that I do not have things under control and am in desperate need of their help. It was a lady I had met a while back while working at Life is good. She saw Darren and I the night before outside soothing the twins. We talked for a bit and she insisted that she stop by sometime to help me out. I told her I was completely fine, I have family here and we are moving in a few days and not to worry about it. Well, turns out she was at my doorstep. "I wasn't kidding when I told you I was going to stop by.. Can I help you?" I wish I could do it all on my own but I needed this half stranger to just take a baby and help me to get them to calm down. I went and got Tylee in her room and turned on Tangled while this lady (Kelsey) and I sat and talked about motherhood and all that. After she told me she felt like she needed to come stop by, I knew it was Heavenly Father answering my prayers through her. I hate asking for help. I want to have control of everything. I want to be "supermom" and things to work out just like my mind has it played out. But curveballs are thrown at me. This has been very humbling and not only am I learning patience, but I am learning to rely on people and understanding that it's okay if I can't do it all myself, as much as I so badly wish I could- and stay sane. But I will also be that person in the future insisting on helping that struggling mother even when she says she doesn't need it, because I know what it is like. Anyway, this too will pass. Thanks Kelsey for showing up tonight. Timing is everything.

8 comments:

Madsen Updates said...

That is so sweet!! I love that she just knocked on your door to help. What perfect timing too!! You're still supermom though. Things don't have to always be perfect to earn that title. It's making it through the tough times that makes you a supermom I think. 3 kids under 2 is A LOT of work. It's hard because they all completely depend on you for everything. That has to be exhausting, but you're doing great. Just take one day at a time.

I also HATE having to accept help. I'm not sure why, I guess I feel like I'm putting people out...but I think if we turn down the help, we're denying them the blessings of service.

Jake and Jen said...

Janess I'm so proud of you. I only have one newborn. And most of the time he's super easy, but there are those times. I Can't imagine having three!
What a sweet story. Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Wow, isn't it crazy how those promptings work out?! That is awesome, and I'm the same way, I never like to ask for help, I think we all want and "try" to be supermom. The thing is, YOU ARE such a great momma janess..we all need a hand here and there and especially YOU when you only have 2 arms and 3 young kids to hold and take care of so don't get discouraged. How nice of her... Can't wait to see you guys!

wadeandjulie said...

I loved your title!!! It is so true! Isn't it amazing?!! You are doing amazing janess! and you are always smiling! Me and Janie were talking the other day how you have to move and how we were coming to help on Wed. I told Janie that I bet you would have it all perfectly organized and ready for us...talking to you today..I was right! In fact you are ahead of schedule! Holy cow! How do you do it?!!!!

Myles N Amanda said...

oh that is so good to hear your normal. haha jk. thats such a great story. i always want to be supermom but i have come to realize that its nice to have help... and i only have one kid. so you are supermom even with help

Heather Hutch said...

Sure love you! The Lord is always aware of you and I can tell you that you are one incredible Mother!! I'll be down at the end of next week for ten days so hows about you let me come help clean, organize and tend?? Okay, I win! :)

Janie Topham said...

Janess, I know how you feel too!! I mean, I don't know how it is to have twins and an almost 2 year old, but I do have those moments a ton and I HATE when I'm not in control. I feel like I'm failing if I can't do it all myself. I am still learning that we need to accept help. That is an awesome story and I'll bet you were so relieved to have that lady stop by. Like Julie said, you really are doing an AMAZING job! I have been very impressed! Keep it up! :)

Stevenson Stories said...

Glad to hear that we all experience similar things, except yours is multiplied with the extra babies around. You are amazing and I admire what you are doing!